This is the latest specification superdetailed Hornby K1 62015 in pristine BR early crest black Livery, from the post 1948 era. Designed by A.H. Peppercorn these 70 versatile loco's inspired by Thompson’s rebuilt Gresley K4 in which it was reclassified as a K1/1, A. H. Peppercorn developed the design into the K1 Class. The K1 Class, were all built in Glasgow at the North British Locomotive Company’s Park Works over a 10 month period between May 1949 and March 1950. The loco's were sent to Eastfield shed, Glasgow for running in before being sent to England where they were used for both freight and express passenger workings. Thirty of the Class were sent to the Eastern Region while the remaining forty were dispatched to the North Eastern Region. Many of the North Eastern K1s were often seen as far North as Edinburgh and early on in their working life were regularly used on the West Highland line. A significant number of the Eastern Region loco's were based at March. The first 50 K1 locomotives were outshopped in black with “British Railways” emblazoned on the tender while the remaining twenty were released with the early BR crest. From 1957 all of the Class received the BR emblem. The loco's were paired with a 4200 gallon tender as used with the LNER/BR Class B1 locomotive. By 1958 the K1s were starting to be transferred from the Great Eastern Region with the result that by 1961 only eight remained at March, however by the middle of 1962 these had been moved to Retford and Doncaster. .Withdrawal of the K1s began in December 1962 but it was a slow demise taking five years before the last locomotive, 62005 was withdrawn from service on the Eastern Region in 1967. The model is to Hornby's very latest high specifications, is DCC Ready, has a Diecast Body, excellent Cab detail, NEM Couplings, and Sprung Buffers.